Friday, March 17, 2006




THE DAMN ROOF

The roof has been giving me quite a bit of grief; besides it's previously mysterious blue-turning tendancy, it has been refusing to look interesting. I thought it looked alright, but after staring at it for a while, I began to sense that it could be better. So, to determine how it could be better, I did the logical thing; find reference material. I found the material I needed close to the studio - i'm not ten minutes away on foot from a historic shipyard, complete with very old (and weathered) wooden structures; there, I observed that weathered, gray wood is actually quite full of variation - very dark slate grays to very light warm grays. It's apparent that the roof as of right now is quite flat looking - not much texture. Next Tuesday i'll go back to the studio and remedy the problem.

I'm also thinking that the tones in the front facade of the house (visible in the attached smaller image) are far too warm - they need to be more neutral. Neutral grays are more evil-looking than warm grays, which goes without saying. Dave seems to be all about the warm brown/grays; i've known him for a long time and I respect his opinion, but he's full of shit. I'd say that neutral grays are at least 30-40% more evil than warm ones, which has to be a conservative estimate.

Excessive time has been spent colouring the set to date. I don't regret it, but I could have been more effecient with the process. The cause of the problem was the usual one; i'd jam my nose into one corner of the set and colour it until it looked good, and then I would move on to another section, without looking at the whole objectively. The result was inevitabely a grab-bag of random barfy tones without logic or coherence (these adjectives are used in the relative sense). Anyways, i've now got the colour scheme pretty well hammered out, and will post some pictures of the resulting paint job in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. I’d just like to say that this blog is extraordinarily entertaining to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:09 AM

    Um. Shouldn't blue be the colour in the pie chart for Dave being wrong?

    ReplyDelete

 
html hit counter
Locations of visitors to this page