Wednesday, October 18, 2006



WE'RE THINKING OF QUITTING

We are seriously considering the idea that our project might just be too damn big.

Conservative estimates, based on myself putting in 24 hours per week, places our production completion date six years away, which has an unfortunate ring of truth. I would be thiry-three. We don't really like the sound of that. We would be pretty disappointed to put 'The Hell Painting' on indefinate hiatus, as we have quite a bit of enthusiasm for the thing. However, if we have to cut our losses, prolonging it obviously won't help.
It wouldn't mean quitting stop-motion animation, however; I would start immediate work on some sort of 1-2 set public domain fairytale piece, 2-3 armatures, no moving faces, all narration, one year ETA. But we're going to sleep on it before I smash our $2500 giant fancy dusty set.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:51 PM

    Looking for information on Stop Motion (I will like to make a short movie ) I found your blog and of course was looking from time to time how you were working on the big stuff. I did not put any comment in your blog as I'm a newby with really no experience at all in stop motion.. But today, what! you're thinking to quit!

    I can understand your position: your project may last 6 years and that is a long period. But I read all your post and more than enthusiasm I feel that it was also a dream becoming a reality.
    When King Kong movie was prepared (it last I think 3 years) all people involved worked in other things but always came back to King Kong shooting few scenes and others and others to make at the end a movie.

    I understand that you're only 3. Why you do not open the project to others, make a school of stop motion around your movies and make possible other to help you to finish "your" movie under your supervision.

    Here in France I'm following you and somewhere I need your experience to improve mine. You will not win a penny with me but I will surely earn some looking at the construction of your project.

    Now I will respect your decision as I'm far and not in your boots but please think about it. What you have create is wonderful. The story, the set (really impressing!), the skull, everything seems perfect...

    You have gold in your fingers, a dream in your soul and a set of 2500 bucks;o) There is always another way to conclude a dream than quit...And you're not alone.

    From France - Amities
    Alban

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sentiment; it's nice to know that somebody out there is watching. I don't think we're qualified to teach anyone stop-motion - our two previous films stink. I think we should produce at least one gooder before we make any pretention of competence.

    Anyways, you'll be able to see our new project from conception to finish. And it won't take six years.

    ReplyDelete

 
html hit counter
Locations of visitors to this page