Saturday, May 22, 2010

Allright. Now I finally have some time/inclination to write a little. Not much of a blogger. Would rather work.

Carriage is getting pretty close to done. The glossiness is creating alot of work. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea. The 'boot' (sticky-outy part at the front of the carriage) was glossy, but I was finding it to hard to get it smooth. Balsa don't varnish very well. So I gave it a final sand and gave it a coat of matte polyurethane. I'm digging the bright orange. It's the official orange of the film. Gonna make multiple appearances - the carriage, Lord William's flag, his footmen, and the dress he gives Anna Maria.

The wheels weren't easy. Took lot of head scratching before I figured out a way to do it. Couldn't cut them out of a large single piece of balsa, as balsa snaps easily along the grain. So I laminated two pieces together, with the grain perpendicular. Then I hacked them out with a blade. The result was crude, but I found that gluing a thin piece of basswood along the inside and outside fixed up the wonkiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

html hit counter
Locations of visitors to this page