Tuesday, January 27, 2009
You can see how this works.
It's a bit awkward to use, but in retrospect, i'm pretty lucky to have made anything that actually works at all in any sense. It was a bit overambitious to attempt this kind of animatable head. So i'm going to count my blessings and move on.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Here's a quick little test using the aforementioned pin system. Not too shabby - this was done with only 3 holes. Should be smoother with double that at least. The whole skin of the face moves to an excessive degree, but that'll be corrected. Pretty sure this is gonna be my official wire-pulling system.
Here's the solution - i'm a little unsure about it. It seems a bit too simple, almost goofy. It's just a belaying pin. Tie the string to a pin, and stick it in a little hole. To pull the string more, take it out and stick it in the next hole. It seems crude, but it has its advantages - it's easy to tie the string at the appropriate tension, and the holes can be exactly located after tieing the string to the pin. No accidental looseness or leeway with the line.
The disadvantages - i'm a little worried that reaching in and relocating the pin will be hard to do without moving the puppet's head unintentionally. Secondly, even with carefully located tiny holes, i'm only going to have about 7 frames maximum to execute a facial movement.
But who gives a shit - it works and it's easy. I'd like to be more robotic and less nautical, but hey. What can you do.
I solved the 'attaching lines to the latex' problem. I tied the line to a tiny little washer, glues that to a little piece of latex, and then glued that on. It stays good enough, but they can be torn off (making them repositionable and test-able). Once established in their final spots, i'm going to coat them in latex to really bond them on there.
I did find a solution to the first problem though. Sort of.
The above picture is the top of the head with a pool of resin, to fill all the unneeded test holes.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
Sunday, January 18, 2009
I think he looks pretty ominous. He's not going to be so goth looking though; my aesthetic is going to be dark, greasy leather that blends with the studio.
There's one simple thing i'm going to try; there's a type of electrical wire covering you can buy at hardware stores that is pretty stiff, and bends like vertabrae. I'm going to go look at the stuff before I try to get too complicated.
Today was turning out pretty productive, but it turned into alot of head scratching and photoshopping.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Then I get to install a beard.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
After ruining my test mask, I got to do something i've wanted to try for a while; pouring a coat of lightly tinted liquid latex over the whole thing. Worked pretty good - it's nice and smooth now, and it fixed some of the little glitches from the casting process. Just needs to be buffed to remove the sheen.
I'm still making another mask, though. As a backup in case this one gets wrecked.
Friday, January 09, 2009
He talks! The mouth opens more than this, but you get the idea. Eyes are coming out okay. Need to recut the shape of them - they look a little gimpy. The basics are going to be moving eyes and up & down mouth. After I have those finished, i'm gonna work a little more on some other facial expressions. If possible. The resin shell looks pretty beat up, but it works. There was quite a bit of breaking and fixing going on.
Monday, January 05, 2009
I've got an animatable mouth now (used armature wire on the jaw). Also cut out the eye holes. Looks allright. Not fantastic, but allright. I'm expecting the head to look alot better when I paint it. I've been doind research on how it's done; think i'm going to try something different. I'm going to try either pastels (the powdery kind) or actual make up. Should be fun buying that. Then i'm going to spray it with drawing fixative. Should work good.
I'm almost done fiddling around with this head. After that, things should get alot easier - no more really tough technical problems. I'm feeling like this stage is the top of the roller coaster; after I get past this hard part, things should happen really fast. Hopefully.